Friday, May 13, 2011

My Boys are Growing Up

Trist's latest joy is riding his scooter at the skate park. Last week he skated the whole time I was watching Ty's baseball game. I kept an eye on him from the game about 50 yards away. At first there were some other 6 or 7 yos he was riding with but eventually they all left. It was Trist with the jr. high kids and some 20-somethings. At one point, I looked over to see everyone sitting on the bench taking a break and there in the middle of them all is Trist - just one of the guys.

As I walked up to check in with him, I see him cut off a skater. So I asked the guys if there were any "rules" at the park. Of course they looked at me as if I was a 40 yo lady and I realized "rules" was not a cool word. They got what I was asking about and said they'd try to set him straight. Then I worried they might be too rough or mean about it so I had to say "be nice but help him learn how to be safe!"

The next time I walk up, he cuts off a 20-something in the line-up. I again look like the 40 yo lady and yell at Trist not to "cut in line". I then overhear one of the guys say something about "his mom's giving him the business". Part of me wants to crawl into a whole because my son is one of the guys and I'm making him uncool. Part of me wants to say, "He's FIVE!" And part of me just accepts that 1) I am now an old lady and 2) my boy is growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment